- Love This
- Yahoo Mail
- Facebook Messenger
- Copy Link
These are the best grilled chicken thighs because the skin gets nice and crispy on the outside while the inside is tender and juicy.
Did I mention the flavoring is unbelievable? This grilled chicken thigh recipe uses both a dry rub and a sauce!
Say hello to your new favorite summer meat to grill! We can’t wait for you to try these grilled bbq chicken thighs. We’ve doubled up on flavor with both a dry rub and bbq sauce.
What do these chicken thighs taste like?
Think smoky + a little spicy + sweet all at the same time. The dry rub will get you the smoky and spicy flavor and then depending on the bbq sauce you use, that will get you the sweetness. You’re welcome.
Bone-in or Boneless. Does it matter?
Bone-in and boneless thighs work! It’s really all about preference. We’re all about bone-in thighs because we love the added flavor the bone gives the meat, but it’s really your choice.
How to Grill Chicken Thighs
This may not seem like an important step, but let me tell you, it is! Make sure to blot your chicken thighs with a paper towel before doing anything else.
Removing moisture is going to allow for the skin to get nice and crispy, while letting the insides become tender and juicy.
We are the queens of dry rub. If you’ve ever tried our dry rub for chicken, you know it’s the most delicious all-purpose rub out there! If you want to use that rub, go for it! If you want something a little but smokier and spicier, try this one:
- chipotle powder
- chili powder
- smoked paprika
- ground pepper
Let chicken thighs sit for at least 30 minutes before grilling. This will infuse them with so much flavor!
Grill + Sauce
Now that your thighs are fully rubbed, it’s time to grill and sauce! Preheat your grill to 400ºF.
Grill chicken thighs skin-side down over direct heat for 4-5 minutes. This is going to get you that nice, crispy skin! Then, flip the chicken thighs and cook them over direct heat for 4 minutes.
Flip chicken thighs one last time and move them over indirect heat. Cook them for another 4ish minutes.
At this point, your thighs should be almost done! Rub on some of your favorite bbq sauce and cook them for a few more minutes to caramelize the sauce. You know your thighs are done when they’ve reached an internal temperature of 165ºF.
So, how long to grill chicken thighs?
The short answer is around 15 minutes or once they have an internal temperature of 165ºF. The long answer is that the size of your chicken thighs matter, so if you have thicker thighs, they will take longer to cook!
Remove chicken thighs from the grill and set them on a plate to rest for around 10 minutes. This will really get the juices flowing!
What is a BBQ without some delicious grilled sides. Here are some of our favorite grilled veggies for you to try!
First things first, let your chicken thighs cool completely. Then, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
BBQ Grilled Chicken Thighs
These are truly the best grilled chicken thighs on the internet. They are made with double the flavor thanks to a dry rub and bbq sauce and have perfectly crispy skin with super juicy meat.
Prep: 45 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour
Fat 18 Carbs 4 Protein 25
Yield 4 1x
- 1 lb. bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup bbq sauce (your favorite kind)
- Begin by taking out the chicken thighs and pat each one with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Next, add the garlic powder, chipotle powder, chili powder, paprika, black pepper, and salt into a small bowl and mix all the spices together.
- Pour the spices over the chicken thighs and massage the thighs with the spices and be sure that each chicken thigh is covered with spices.
- Let the chicken thighs sit for at least 30 minutes in the spices (longer is always better). This will help get the juices get flowing and flavor the meat.
- While the chicken is sitting, preheat the oven to 400ºF and make sure there is indirect and direct grilling space on the grill.
- When the chicken is ready, place the chicken on the grill skin side down over direct heat for 4-5 minutes to crisp up the chicken skin.
- Flip the chicken and cook the chicken for another 4 minutes.
- Lastly, flip the chicken one more time (skin up) and move it to indirect heat.
- Add a tablespoon or so of BBQ sauce to each chicken thigh and spread out the sauce evenly over the thighs.
- Close the grill and let the BBQ sauce caramelize for 2 more minutes and then remove the thighs from the grill.
- Let the chicken sit for 5 minutes and then enjoy.
Tips & Notes
- BBQ sauce- the BBQ sauce is going to add a lot of flavor to your thighs. So, make sure you like your bbq sauce. If you like it sweet, use a sweeter sauce and if you like it spicy/smokey, us a spicy sauce.
Serving Size: 1/4 Calories: 264 Sugar: 2 Fat: 18 Carbohydrates: 4 Fiber: 0 Protein: 25
Author: Linley RichterCategory: ChickenMethod: GrillCuisine: American
Keywords: grilled chicken thighs
Photos by: The Wooden Skillet
About Lee Funke
Lee is the founder of Fit Foodie Finds and based in Minneapolis, MN. She started this website in 2010 as a way to share her love for real food and wellness.