If you are one of those people who think of every possible excuse not to work out, having a home gym might be the right solution.
All jokes aside, creating a personal workout space where you won’t have to think about busy hours, monthly fees, and noisy gym-goers is an excellent idea. It’s a great addition to your home with multiple benefits, but you need to make sure you do this right.
We’ve got some of the best tips on creating your perfect home gym and spending the money wisely on this project.
The Benefits of Having a Gym at Home
It’s no wonder you doubt if you should do this project – home gyms can get expensive. However, before you start making any plans, it’s good to consider all the benefits you’ll get by creating your personal workout space right there at your home. This way, you can decide if you need this project, and trust us – you do.
Great things about having a gym at home are:
- Personal workout space available any time – if you don’t like many people around you while working out, then public gyms are not the best option. You can work out enjoying the privacy of your home, picking your own time to do the exercises and relax.
- No monthly fees – it’s true you’ll need money to set up a gym, but it’s a long-term investment that pays off. You won’t have to worry about monthly fees anymore.
- Workout environment that suits you the best – once you create your perfect home gym, you can be sure that it’s the space adjusted to your needs and preferences. This workout environment will fit you like no other, as you will set it up according to your fitness style and needs.
- Fitness motivation – no more excuses when it’s raining outside, or your car breaks down. You can now work out anytime you want as you’ll need a couple of seconds to arrive at the gym. It will help you maintain your fitness routine and shape up.
- Increase home value – if you decide to sell your home, potential buyers will be willing to pay more for the property that includes a gym.
- A healthier and safer place to work out– when you exercise in the privacy of your home, you don’t have to worry about viruses, especially at the time of the global pandemic. Also, some cities have locked down their gyms because of the covid-19. People with home gyms don’t have to worry about this.
- Family time – a home gym is great as all family members can use it. You can even work out with your partner as a way of spending some quality time together.
How to create a perfect home gym? The main guidelines.
Setting up a home gym is a process that needs to be carefully organized. There are several steps you shouldn’t forget to make the space where you’ll feel good and ready to burn some calories.
Start with the location
You need to pick a suitable space for your gym first. This will decide the course of the whole process, the number of items you’ll include in it, etc. Depending on where you live and the size of your home, the home gym can be in your basement, extra room, garage, or even area outdoors. If the climate of your city allows you to have an outdoor gym, you can place it on a spacious back porch, for example. Either way, be sure to pick a place where you’ll have privacy, and you won’t bother other members of your household during your workout sessions.
You can pick almost any free space to create your perfect home gym.
Get the necessary equipment
The number and type of items you’ll use in your gym depend on your workout style and preferences. Usually, you’ll need items for cardio and strength exercises, as well as recovery. The choices will also depend on your budget. You can either go for a jump rope or a treadmill for your cardio exercises. For your strength training, look for some dumbbells you can adjust, balance discs, resistance bands, etc. All of these are pretty useful and don’t take up as much space. When it comes to recovery, find some good foam rollers for reducing the fatigue in your muscles. You can find a Theragun recovery tool that uses vibration to massage sore muscles if you have a more generous budget.
Numerous workout items don’t take up too much space, so browse your options and pick what suits your workout style. Remember, you can get more affordable workout equipment if you look at websites where people sell used items they no longer need. Finally, you don’t need to get everything at once. Start with some basics, and then build your perfect home gym over time.
Basic, most powerful items are not too bulky and they are essential for creating your perfect home gym.
In case you decide to move, your new home may not have space for your gym at the moment. Until you make that work, place your gym items in safe storage instead of getting rid of everything. There are ways you can make it as affordable as possible and make sure your items are secure without breaking the bank.
Details and accessories will ensure your workout space is complete. So, don’t forget to get a good-quality yoga mat, some towels, a fan, and a mirror to check if you’re doing exercises correctly.
A home gym is where you will feel good about yourself and say motivated to work out regularly.
The best option for your home gym would be natural light. However, if you’re placing the gym in a basement or a garage, you’ll need to invest in some LED lighting. This will create a bright and positive atmosphere in your gym and put you in a good mood.
Good workout music can be very inspiring and help you stay motivated during your sessions. You can use a Bluetooth speaker to play the music or invest in a high-quality audio system. Either way, don’t forget that music is essential when creating your perfect home gym, the place where you’ll want to spend time daily.