- Love This
- Yahoo Mail
- Facebook Messenger
- Copy Link
This blueberry quinoa breakfast bowl is packed with protein, delicious blueberries, and makes the perfect meal prep breakfast throughout the week!
The Most Protein Packed Breakfast
Say hello to the most delicious breakfast bowl of all time! We have many delicious breakfast recipes here on FFF. We love oatmeal, eggs, pancakes, and everything in between!
It is always a good idea to start the morning off with a good dose of protein and eggs and oatmeal are a great way to do it. However, if you are looking for something a little different that is protein packed this breakfast quinoa is for you!
This delicious breakfast quinoa bowl is the perfect combination between sweet and savory breakfast lovers! The quinoa is the savory and the mashed blueberries and maple syrup sweeten up this recipe just enough!
Here is everything you need to make this delicious bowl!
Ingredient List for Breakfast Quinoa
The ingredients for this blueberry breakfast quinoa are simple, healthy, and easy to find! Here is what you need!
- Fresh Blueberries
- Maple Syrup
- Almond Milk
- Almond Butter
- Chia Seeds
- Slivered Almonds
Quick and Easy Swaps:
If you are making this breakfast quinoa bowl and find out that you don’t have some of the ingredients, don’t freak out! Here are some easy ingredient swaps that will taste great!
Don’t have blueberries? Use strawberries!
No almond milk? Swap out any milk you have in the refrigerator!
Need a different nut butter? The almond butter in this recipe is used to add a creamy texture and a little extra protein! Feel free to use any nut butter you have available to you (peanut butter, cashew butter, even tahini)!
Want a different sweetener? If you don’t have maple syrup or would like to use a different sweetener, honey or agave syrup will work too!
How to Make a Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- Prepare all of the ingredients first! Measure out the quinoa, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, salt, and blueberries!
- Before cooking all of the ingredients together, be sure to smash the blueberries! This step is VERY important! Smashing the blueberries helps to infuse the quinoa while simmering everything together and makes it a fun (natural) blue color!
- After you have sufficiently smashed the blueberries, add the quinoa, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and blueberries to a small sauce pan and mix. Bring them to a boil over night heat.
- Once everything has been brought to a boil, turn the heat to low, cover and let the quinoa absorb the liquid (about 15 minutes).
- When the quinoa is ready, add in the rest of the ingredients and enjoy!
change up the texture
There are a few different ways you can prepare this quinoa breakfast bowl! You can have it as more of a porridge with a creamy consistency or you can give your quinoa more of a bite if you don’t like things mushy!
How do I do that?
If you would like a creamier consistency, add more milk after the quinoa is done cooking! If you like your quinoa with more of a bite, cook your quinoa normally until all the liquid is gone. Fluff it with a fork and do not add extra milk at the end!
Can I use any kind of quinoa for this recipe?
Yes! You can use any color of quinoa that you can get your hands on!
Will frozen blueberries work instead of fresh blueberries?
Yes, you can use frozen berries! Just let them thaw, strain the access water, and then mash them as you would the fresh blueberries!
freeze your own berries
Do you have a ton of extra fresh berries? Don’t let them go to waste! Check out how to freeze berries so you can have back stock of all of your favorite berries!
How long does this blueberry breakfast quinoa last in the refrigerator?
This blueberry breakfast quinoa can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days if you store it in an air tight container.
Blueberry Breakfast Quinoa
Make this blueberry breakfast quinoa for the week! You’ll get your protein and have a delicious breakfast all in one!
Prep: 10 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutes
Fat 16 Carbs 25 Protein 7
Yield 4 servings 1x
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (any kind works!)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 2/3 cup fresh blueberries, smashed (+ more for topping)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (optional)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- fresh blueberries
- Place almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt into a small saucepan. Whisk all of the ingredients together until combined. Add quinoa and blueberries and mix again.
- Bring the quinoa and milk to a boil over high heat and then cover, turn heat to low and let the quinoa simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the quinoa has fully cooked, remove from heat and keep covered. The liquid will continue to absorb as it sits. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Option to mix in 1 tablespoon of almond butter or serve as is. Serve with a splash more of almond milk, a sprinkle of chia seeds, slivered almonds, and move fresh blueberries.
Tips & Notes
- This recipe was updated on April 23, 2020.
Serving Size: 1/4 Calories: 255 Sugar: 10 Sodium: 298 Fat: 16 Carbohydrates: 25 Fiber: 4 Protein: 7
Author: Linley RichterCategory: BreakfastMethod: Stove TopCuisine: American