This Three Cheese Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is keto, low carb, and oh so delicious! And did we mention it packs 20g of protein? Yah welcome.
Make this recipe in under an hour for an amazing weeknight meal that’s sure to have your family coming back for seconds.
Calling All Low-Carb Lovers!
This cauliflower mac and cheese is for you! Not only is it low carb, but this cheesy deliciousness is ready to eat in under an hour, making this a fantastic weeknight meal or healthy side dish. And no mushy cauliflower or weird cheese texture with this method — we’ll walk you right through this easy and healthy recipe.
How to Make Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Make this cauliflower mac and cheese (did we mention it’s keto-friendly?!) by following these simple steps, and you’re off to a healthy dinner, my friends!
Preheat your oven to 400ºF and spray a 9×13 in. casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray (any kind will do!).
Toss the cauliflower with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, making sure to toss until ALL the cauliflower is completely covered with the spices.
Roast the cauliflower for 12 minutes, toss, and then roast again for another 12 minutes.
Pro Tip: 400ºF for 24 minutes will give your cauliflower the perfectly roasted texture, without being mushy or overly crispy — this will be important as you’ll still give the cauliflower a bit more time to cook once the cheese sauce is mixed in.
Prepare that Cheesy Sauce!
While the cauliflower is roasting, prepare the cheese sauce by heating butter in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium/high heat until melted. Then add in the flour and mix (we used a whisk for this!) until the butter and flour turn into a thick paste.
Next, turn the heat to low/medium heat, and slowly pour milk into the saucepan while consistently whisking the milk into the butter and flour mixture. Consistent whisking will prevent your sauce from burning!
Once the milk is completely added, whisk over low heat until the milk mixture thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in the cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, and salt. Whisk until all the cheese is melted. YUM.
All Together Now
Remove cauliflower from the oven once it’s done roasting, and pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower — right in the 9×13 pan. Mix together the cheese sauce and cauliflower, making sure all the cauliflower is covered in the cheese sauce. Feel free to taste test this deliciousness at this point 😀
Broil to Cheesy Perfection
Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top of the cauliflower and cheese mixture, and turn the oven to broil.
Place the cauliflower mac and cheese back into the oven, and broil on high for 2-5 minutes (this time will vary based on the broiler! Make sure to keep an eye on your mac and cheese to avoid burning!).
Remove from the oven, and enjoy!
More Cauliflower Recipes
If you’re enjoying this cauliflower mac and cheese as much as we do, you’ll surely love our plethora of other amazingly delicious cauliflower recipes on Fit Foodie Finds:
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- One Pan Cauliflower Nachos
- Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- General Tso’s Cauliflower
- Golden Roasted Cauliflower and Quinoa Salad
- Loaded Cauliflower Potato Soup
- 32 oz. cauliflower, chopped (about 10 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour (almond flour for a keto option)
- 1.5 cup 2% milk
- 1.5 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and spray a 9×13 in. casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Toss the cauliflower with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Toss until all the cauliflower is covered with spice.
- Roast cauliflower for 12 minutes, toss, and roast for another 12 minutes.
- While cauliflower is roasting, prepare the cheese sauce by heating butter in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium/high heat until melted.
- Add in flour and mix until the butter and flour turn into a thick paste.
- Next, turn the heat to low/medium heat and slowly pour milk into the saucepan while consistently whisking the milk into the butter and flour mixture.
- Whisk over low heat until the milk mixture thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, and salt. Whisk until all the cheese is melted.
- Remove cauliflower from the oven and pour cheese sauce over the cauliflower and mix, making sure all cauliflower is covered in cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top of the cauliflower and turn the oven to broil.
- Place the cauliflower back into the oven and broil on high for 2-5 minutes (time varies based on the broiler).
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1/4 recipe Calories: 420 Sugar: 11 Sodium: 641 Fat: 29 Carbohydrates: 24 Fiber: 5 Protein: 20 Cholesterol: 69
Author: Linley RichterCategory: Lunch and DinnerMethod: OvenCuisine: American
Keywords: cauliflower mac and cheese
Emily spent the first 10 years of her career in marketing and advertising roles and started side-hustling with Fit Foodie Finds in Fall of 2015. She joined Team Fit Foodie full-time in the Spring of 2018. Em lives in Minneapolis with her husband and dog, and manages FFF business operations as well as all things sponsorships and brand collaborations.