With just simple 3 ingredients you can make the most delicious, flavor-filled classic Moscow mule recipe that is perfect for any time of year!
Hello, vodka cocktail lovers and welcome to our classic Moscow mule recipe! If you love citrus and ginger, then you’re going to adore this drink!
What’s in a Moscow Mule? Moscow mules are my go-to cocktail to order when I’m out at the bar and being able to remake it at home is a dream. Plus, it only requires 3 ingredients!
Moscow Mule Ingredients
Moscow mules are a popular vodka cocktail consisting of 3 basic ingredients: vodka, lime juice, and ginger beer.
Classic Moscow mules are made with vodka. There are other types of mules such as Mexican mules, which use tequila, but the most classic mule is made with vodka.
We recommend using a high-quality vodka such as one of the brands below.
Fresh Lime Juice
3 words people. FRESH. LIME. JUICE. Whatever you do, please squeeze your lime juice directly from a lime and don’t use the artificial stuff!
Pro tip: get yourself a handheld juicer. They are amazing for cocktails!
Ginger beer is the most important flavor of a Moscow mule. It adds that much-needed spiciness and helps tone down the booze. You can buy ginger beer at most grocery stores and for sure at all liquor stores.
What’s the best ginger beer for a Moscow mule? Here are some of our top-rated ginger beer brands:
- Fever Tree
Ginger ale vs. ginger beer
Ginger beer is oftentimes mixed up with ginger ale, but they are actually quite different! Ginger beer is “brewed” or “fermented” over a few days with real ginger root and cane sugar whereas ginger ale is carbonated water with ginger syrup.
Ginger ale tastes sweeter and is more carbonated than ginger beer so we don’t recommend swapping 1 for 1.
Moscow Mule Variations
Already a Moscow mule pro? Take your cocktail up a notch with a sassy or classy variation!
Fruit: muddle in different fruit such as fresh berries or even grapefruit to give your mule a twist! PS: you have to try our Blackberry Moscow Mule!
Booze: don’t have vodka? No problem! Try using tequila, mezcal, or even rum. Heck, you can even skip the booze if you’re hoping for a mocktail.
Herbs: whether you want to just class up the accouterments of your drink or add more flavor, herbs are the way to go! Try muddling in some fresh basil, rosemary, thyme, or mint.
Moscow Mule Must-Haves
- Copper Mugs: under $15 for 2 copper mugs? YES PLEASE. Plus, these are hammered to make them extra special.
- Cocktail shaker/mason jar: get fancy with a cocktail shaker or simply just use a mason jar! Either work.
- Shot glass: a 2-oz. shot glass is basic but necessary!
- Citrus juicer: the best $16 you’ll ever spend is on this citrus juicer! Thank you Crate and Barrel.
More Vodka Cocktails
Moscow Mule Recipe
Moscow mules are refreshing, sweet, and slightly spicy. Simply mix together vodka, lime juice, and ginger beer and you’re ready to go!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
Author: Lee Hersh
Yield: 1 serving 1x
Method: No Bake
Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 oz. vodka
- 2 oz. all-natural ginger beer
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice (~juice from 1/2 lime)
- 2 handfuls of ice
- Place a handful of ice into a cocktail shaker or mason jar. Then, add vodka, ginger beer, and fresh lime juice.
- Closer the lid and shake for 30 seconds to combine.
- Serve Moscow mule over ice with fresh lime wedges.
- This recipe was slightly updated on June 18, 2020.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 157
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 4
- Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0