Welcome to the best chicken quesadillas on the internet! This easy weeknight meal comes together in 5 simple steps and under 30 minutes. Enjoy!
A Fan Favorite Recipe!
This recipe came highly asked for by all of YOU! Lin, Lee and I were making a leftover lunch the other day, and pulled together the most delicious chicken quesadillas, shared it with you all on Instagram, and that was it! We knew we had to recreate this recipe for the website.
A few unexpected ingredients you’ll find in these ‘dillas! Cream cheese spread inside the tortilla, and ground chicken with our go-to taco seasoning.
How to Make the Perfect Quesadilla
- garlic: every good Mexican dish starts with garlic and that’s just a fact. Feel free to add more if your heart desires.
- yellow onion: the flavor sautéed onions add to these ‘dillas can’t be beat! If you only have red onion, that will work, too!
- bell peppers: we love sneaking veg into our dishes when we can and bell peppers fit quite nicely in this quesadilla. Choose any color you’d like.
- ground chicken: the star of this dish really is the ground chicken. Now, if you don’t have ground chicken, ground beef OR ground turkey will also work.
- taco seasoning: we always have an all-purpose taco seasoning on hand at our house. It’s meant exactly for recipes like this! Basic spices, but a whole lot of flavor.
- cherry tomatoes: a little tomato flavor goes a long way! We love cherry tomatoes because you can easily get that delicious flavor in every bite.
- guacamole: who doesn’t love guac with their quesadillas!?
- cream cheese: all quesadillas deserve CHEESE! In addition to shredded cheese, we spread a nice little layer of cream cheese on the tortilla. It’s so delish! Add as much or as little as you’d like!
- tortillas: we’re flour tortilla fans over here, but if your preference is corn or another GF option, go right ahead! Siete tortillas are always delish!
This recipe only requires two pans and two only! That means the instructions are rather simple. We’re talking 5 steps, people!
- Cook the Chicken: Add olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium/high heat. When the olive oil is fragrant, add yellow onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes and then add ground chicken. Sauté for another 5 minutes to completely brown chicken and then add taco seasoning and water and mix. Add more water, if need be!
- Add Peppers and Tomatoes: Next, add green pepper and tomato and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes to slightly cook veggies. Then, remove from heat and set aside.
- Time to Prep the ‘Dillas: Prepare your chicken quesadillas by spreading cream cheese and guacamole on one side of your tortilla. Then, add 1/8 of the meat mixture to one side of each tortilla and top with shredded cheddar cheese. Fold the empty side over and press down.
- Pan Fry The Quesadillas: Heat olive oil in another skillet over low/medium heat. Then, fry quesadillas for a few minutes on each side to crisp up your tortillas and to melt the cheese. Repeat until all quesadillas are done.
- Enjoy! Top with all your favorite toppings and serve immediately.
It’s as easy as that! And, clean up is a breeze because you only dirtied two pans.
Extra Toppings for Extra Delish Quesadillas
There’s no such thing as TOO many toppings for quesadillas! These chicken quesadillas are oh so delish on their own, but you feel free to go right ahead and jazz these up with any (or all?!) of these delicious toppings!
- Fresh diced cilantro
- Sliced avocado
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
What to Serve with Chicken Quesadillas
Round out this meal with these delicious Mexican inspired sides and salads:
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 2.5 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons water*
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 8-inch tortillas
- 4-oz. softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup guacamole (or avocado)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium/high heat. When the olive oil is fragrant, add yellow onion and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes and then add ground chicken. Saute for another 5 minutes to completely brown chicken and then add taco seasoning and water and mix. Add more water, if needed.
- Next, add green pepper and tomato and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes to slightly cook veggies. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare quesadillas by spreading cream cheese and guacamole on one side of your tortilla. Then, add 1/8 of the meat mixture to one side of each tortilla and top with shredded cheddar cheese. Fold the empty side over and press down.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in another skillet over low/medium heat. Then, fry quesadillas for a few minutes on each side to crisp up your tortillas and to melt the cheese. Repeat until all quesadillas are done.
- Top with all your favorite toppings and enjoy.
Tips & Notes
- water: option to add more water as needed to thin out meat.
Serving Size: 1 quesadilla Calories: 298 Sugar: 3 Sodium: 404 Fat: 19 Carbohydrates: 16 Fiber: 2 Protein: 17 Cholesterol: 69
Author: Lee FunkeCategory: Lunch and DinnerMethod: Stove TopCuisine: Mexican
Keywords: chicken quesadillas
Emily spent the first 10 years of her career in marketing and advertising roles and started side-hustling with Fit Foodie Finds in Fall of 2015. She joined Team Fit Foodie full-time in the Spring of 2018. Em lives in Minneapolis with her husband and dog, and manages FFF business operations as well as all things sponsorships and brand collaborations.