This lightened-up Healthy Mocha Frappe is cold and creamy, and it will surely hit the spot on a hot summer day. It’s made delicious with rich cocoa powder, high-quality coffee, just a touch of sweetness, and your choice of a creamy liquid. Now you can enjoy a frappe with much less sugar, yet equally delicious!
This post was created in partnership with our friends at Purity Coffee.
A lightened-up summer treat for coffee lovers to enjoy
Just around the corner are warmer days! Summer will be here and we can’t wait! Complete with an abundance of sunshine, 90 degrees (or hotter) temps, and a craving for something cold. This Healthy Mocha Frappe will surely hit the spot and you’ll love that it’s made with less sugar, MUCH less sugar, than what you’ll find on a menu at almost any coffee shop. To put it into perspective the amount of sugar in a 12 oz. mocha frappe drink from a coffee shop is around 35 grams. That is equivalent to almost 9 teaspoons of sugar. That’s just too much. Therefore, we took the challenge upon us to create something similar tasting, equally delicious, but with less sugar.
Our Healthy Mocha Frappe is a lightened-up version of the popular drink and comes in at just 15 grams of sugar per serving, which includes the chocolate sauce and whipped topping too. While it’s still a treat, it’s definitely a better for you option.
This post may contain affiliate links that will not change your price but will share some commission.
Made with our favorite Organic Purity Coffee
This Healthy Mocha Frappe recipe is made with Purity Coffee. Our favorite coffee for many reasons. Choosing a high-quality, organic coffee is important—for your health, for the environment, and for the workers. In this post, we go into great depth sharing how to choose quality coffee, the importance of choosing quality coffee, and why we choose Purity Coffee. But in short Purity Coffee is always organic, it’s a specialty grade, it’s free of mold and mycotoxins, AND it has 2x the antioxidants of other leading brands. It has been our coffee of choice ever since we were introduced to it a couple of years ago!
Try Purity Coffee today and save 20% on your order plus free shipping of whole bean and coffee pods when you use code REALFOODRDS at checkout
Healthy Mocha Frappe Ingredients
- Coffee, frozen into cubes – strong brewed Purity Coffee frozen into ice cubes.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – we recommend organic.
- Maple syrup or honey – a touch of sweetness from maple syrup or honey. For a sugar-free option, we recommend allulose.
- Vanilla extract
- Creamy liquid of choice – we like to use half and half. For a dairy-free and vegan option, we recommend using a dairy-free unsweetened coffee creamer.
- Milk of choice – you will need a splash or two or three of extra liquid to blend it all together.
- Chocolate chips – we like to use dark chocolate chips that contain at least 60% cacao or more.
- Coconut oil – just a little is all you need to make the chocolate drizzle nice and smooth.
- Whipped topping of choice – homemade, dairy-free whip or Reddi whip…you do you!
How to make Healthy Mocha Frappe
If you don’t already have frozen coffee cubes in your freezer this recipe requires a bit of planning ahead. PS: if you don’t, you might want to start because they also make for a great addition to smoothies and no-churn ice creams.
Step 1: freeze strong brewed coffee in a silicone ice cube tray.
Step 2: In a blender add the coffee cubes, cocoa powder, sweetener of choice, vanilla, ice, and creamy liquid of choice. Add milk of choice as needed to achieve bendable consistency.
Step 3: In a saucepan over low heat add the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Continue to stir until the sauce is melted, nice and drizzly.
Step 4: Drizzle the chocolate along the sides of two glasses. Divide the Mocha Frappe between the two prepared glasses. Top with the whip and additional chocolate if you wish.
Other coffee recipes to try
- 1 ½ cups coffee, frozen into cubes
- 1 ½ Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup ice
- ½ cup half and half or dairy-free creamer
- Milk of choice
Optional but recommended:
- 2 tbsp. chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp. coconut oil
- Whipped topping of choice
- Freeze strong brewed coffee in a silicone ice cube tray.
- In a blender add the coffee cubes, cocoa powder, sweetener of choice, vanilla, ice, and creamy liquid of choice. Blend starting on low. As you blend, speed it up and add milk of choice as needed to achieve bendable consistency.
- In a sauce pan over low heat melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil stirring until the sauce is a drizzly consistency.
- Drizzle the chocolate along the sides of two glasses. Divided the Mocha Frappe between the two prepared glasses. Top with whip and additional chocolate if you wish.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe with chocolate and whip
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 15 g
- Sodium: 125 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 4 g
Pin it now & make it later!
This post was made possible by our friends at Purity Coffee. Although we received compensation for this post, the opinions expressed here are – as always – 100% our own. Thank you for supporting the great companies we work with thereby allowing us to continue creating great recipes and content for you.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
About Stacie Hassing
Stacie is a Licensed and Registered Dietitian from rural southern Minnesota where she and her husband reside on 5 acres with their two pups, Walter & Lucy. She’s a creator of simple and wholesome recipes, a lover of nature, a crossfitter, a seasonal runner, and she’s on a mission to inspire as many as she can live a healthier and happier life from the inside out.