This 6 ingredient flourless chocolate skillet cake is a decadent dessert that is easily made in a cast iron skillet. Top with a scoop of your favorite ice cream and enjoy!
It’s Time for a Sweet Treat
You’re going to absolutely love this super decadent and delicious flourless chocolate skillet cake! Make the batter in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop and then bake to gooey chocolatey perfection.
Why you’ll love it
6 Ingredients: You only need SIX ingredients to make this amazing flourless chocolate skillet cake.
Gluten-free friendly: This chocolate skillet cake is flourless!
Looks fancy, but oh so easy: I mean, LOOK AT HOW BEAUTIFUL THIS DESSERT IS. Whether you’re making this for an easy weeknight treat or bringing it to a loved on a special occasion, this chocolate skillet cake is dressed to impress.
One of the main reasons why we love this chocolate skillet cake is because it’s flourless! Dats, right, we’re going GF with this delicious dessert. You’ll need 6 simple ingredients:
- Eggs: egg yolks and whites are both crucial to this cake. We do not suggest omitting them or replacing them with a plant-based egg like flax eggs.
- Bittersweet chocolate: bittersweet chocolate gets melted together with butter as the base batter for this skillet cake.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: we’re also using chocolate chips that are folded into the batter before baking, which gives this skillet cake its amazingly decadent and rich chocolate flavor.
- Unsalted butter: melt that butter with bittersweet chocolate. Don’t skip this ?
- Light brown sugar: we love the warm flavor of brown sugar, but feel free to substitute coconut sugar if you prefer that.
- Salt: a dash of salt helps to bring out the decadent chocolate flavor of this skillet cake.
How to Make Flourless Chocolate Skillet Cake
For the full recipe, scroll down to the recipe card for a list of ingredients and instructions.
Whisk Egg Whites
Place all of the egg whites into a large metal bowl and whisk the egg whites together on high until stiff peaks form — this should take about 3-5 minutes.
Melt Chocolate & Butter
Heat a 12-inch cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the bittersweet chocolate and butter into the cast iron, and stir together until glossy and smooth.
Let Skillet Cool
Remove the skillet from the heat and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
Why? This will ensure that you don’t scramble the egg yolks when you add them in the next step!
Add Egg Yolk, Sugar & Chocolate Chips
Add the egg yolks, brown sugar, and chocolate chips to the skillet pan. Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and chocolate chips into the melted chocolate until combined and creamy.
Fold in Egg Whites
Now add the fluffy egg whites into the skillet and gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until completely combined. This may take a bit of time!
Bake & Enjoy!
Bake at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes. Serve HOT with 2-3 scoops of ice cream. Enjoy! ?
Tips for a Perfect Chocolate Skillet Cake
Don’t scramble the eggs: When you remove the skillet from the heat after melting the chocolate and butter, do not skip allowing the skillet to cool for 2 minutes before adding the egg yolks. You do not want the egg yolks to scramble from the heat.
Perfectly peaked egg whites: Be sure you whisk the egg whites enough so that still peaks form but not so much that they become grainy.
Serve skillet cake warm: We highly recommend serving this flourless chocolate skillet cake WARM. And topped with peanut butter ice cream ?
Latest Dessert Recipes
We absolutely love the combination of ice cream, mini chocolate chips and a drizzle of nut butter to top this chocolate skillet cake! Here are a few other recommendations:
- Mini chocolate chips
- Ice cream
- Coconut flakes
- Hot fudge
- Drizzle of nut butter
- Cream cheese frosting
- All of the above ?
Let this chocolate skillet cake cool completely. Then, store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 3 days.
- 5 eggs, separated into whites and yolks
- 8-oz. bittersweet chocolate
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Next, place all of the egg whites into a large metal bowl and whisk the egg whites together on high until stiff peaks form — about 3-5 minutes. Set egg whites aside.
- Heat a 12-inch cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the bittersweet chocolate and butter into the cast iron.
- Stir the two ingredients together until glossy and smooth.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Then, add the egg yolks, brown sugar, and chocolate chips to the skillet pan. Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and chocolate chips into the melted chocolate until combined and creamy.
- Finally, add the fluffy egg whites into the skillet and gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until completely combined. This may take time.
- Bake at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and serve hot with 2-3 scoops of ice cream (we highly recommend peanut butter Ice cream).
Tips & Notes
- Be sure you whisk the egg whites enough so that still peaks form but not so much that they become grainy.
- In step #5 when you remove the skillet from the heat, do not skip allowing the skillet to cool for 2 minutes before adding the egg yolks. You do not want the egg yolks to scramble.
Serving Size: 1/8 Calories: 376 Sugar: 15 Sodium: 190 Fat: 27 Carbohydrates: 32 Fiber: 2 Protein: 6 Cholesterol: 146
Author: Lee FunkeCategory: DessertsMethod: OvenCuisine: American
Keywords: flourless chocolate skillet cake
Emily spent the first 10 years of her career in marketing and advertising roles and started side-hustling with Fit Foodie Finds in Fall of 2015. She joined Team Fit Foodie full-time in the Spring of 2018. Em lives in Minneapolis with her husband and dog, and manages FFF business operations as well as all things sponsorships and brand collaborations.