This Easy Taco Casserole is a fan favorite, and a great way to jazz up taco night! It’s a one-pot meal the whole family will love.
One Pot Meals
This taco casserole is truly make completely in one pot! A cast iron skillet to be exact. Not only can you sauté the meat and veggies in it, then you can pop the whole darn thing in the oven and bake it to perfection.
When it comes to a casseroles, we love making it a well-rounded meal. That usually means pairing a source of protein with veggies and a grain (or in this recipe — tortilla chips!). And, of course, can’t forget the shredded cheese!
How to Make Taco Casserole
This easy taco casserole comes together in a few simple steps, and in under an hour you’ll be off to taco night perfection.
Saute Ground Beef
Place ground beef in a large cast-iron pan and sauté for 3-5 minutes to partially cook. Then, remove from heat and set aside.
Saute Onion and Bell Pepper
Next, in the grease from the beef, sauté minced yellow onion and diced red pepper for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
Add it all back in + layer up!
Add the beef back in and then add green chiles, taco seasoning, and salsa. Sauté for 1-2 more minutes to bring the liquid to a bubble. Pro tip: use our homemade taco seasoning for the most delicious taco flavor ever ?
Turn the burner off and layer on black beans, sweet corn, and tortilla chips. Then, sprinkle on shredded cheese.
Bake til cheese is melty
Bake casserole at 350ºF for 10 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
What to Serve with Taco Casserole
This easy taco casserole is truly a meal in itself, but we love topping it with some of our taco night inspired faves:
- Greek yogurt
- Guacamole or sliced avocado
- Squeeze of fresh lime
- 1 lb. 85% ground beef
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 large red pepper, finely diced
- 1 4.5-oz. can green chiles
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and strained
- 1 15-oz. can sweet corn, rinsed and strained
- 2–4 cups tortilla chips
- 8 oz. Mexican shredded cheese
- Place ground beef in a large cast iron pan and sauté for 3-5 minutes to partially cook. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Next, in the grease from the beef, sauté yellow onion and red pepper for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the beef back in and then add green chiles, taco seasoning, and salsa. Sauté for 1-2 more minutes to bring the liquid to a bubble.
- Turn the burner off and layer on black beans, sweet corn, and tortilla chips. Then, sprinkle on shredded cheese.
- Bake casserole at 350ºF for 10 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
Tips & Notes
- Casserole dish: option to build your taco casserole in a casserole dish if you don’t have a cast-iron pan. Simply follow the directions for cooking the meat, but once it’s cooked, transfer into your casserole dish and go from there.
- This recipe was updated on August 1, 2020.
Serving Size: 1/8 recipe Calories: 357 Sugar: 1 Sodium: 947 Fat: 15 Carbohydrates: 34 Fiber: 1 Protein: 21 Cholesterol: 50
Author: Lee HershCategory: CasseroleMethod: OvenCuisine: MexicanDiet: Gluten Free
Keywords: taco casserole
Yah literally just throw stuff in a casserole dish and mix it all up. Throw some cheese on top and you’ve got yourself one hell of a casserole.
Lee is the founder of Fit Foodie Finds and based in Minneapolis, MN. She started this website in 2010 as a way to share her love for real food and wellness.