Sip on a mug of this 5-ingredient Easy Spiked Hot Chocolate topped with mini marshmallows. It truly is the perfect winter drink!
Festive Spiked Hot Chocolate
This spiked hot chocolate is easy to make and delicious to enjoy. Make one batch to serve you and a loved one, or easily double or triple the recipe. We’ll walk you through it all!
Spiked Hot Chocolate Ingredients
This spiked hot chocolate comes together in 5 simple ingredients + mini marshmallows if you’d like to top it off (and really, why wouldn’t you?!):
- 2% milk — any kind of milk will work!
- Dark chocolate — we prefer a less sweet chocolate for hot chocolate, but if you prefer milk chocolate, that will work, too.
- Cocoa powder
- Maple syrup — to sweeten this hocho just a touch!
- Bourbon — or any of the following boozy options below.
- Marshmallows for topping — these are optional, and a dollop of whipped cream would also work.
Best Booze for Spiked Hot Chocolate
We used bourbon for this spiked hot chocolate, but feel free to get jazzy and spike your hot chocolate with any of the following booze options:
- Any whisky
- Irish creme
- Red wine
- Peppermint schnapps
How to Make Spiked Hot Chocolate
This festive spiked hot chocolate is made in 4 simple steps, which means you’ll be sipping spiked hocho before you know it:
Heat Milk + Melt Chocolate
Place milk and dark chocolate into a medium saucepan and turn heat to medium. Then, whisk continuously until the dark chocolate melts into the milk.
Add Cocoa Powder + Maple Syrup
Now add cocoa powder and maple syrup and continue to whisk until the mixture begins to bubble.
Spike That Hot Chocolate!
Add 1.5 oz. of bourbon into each mug and then fill the mug with hot chocolate, and stir together with a spoon.
Top with Mini Mallows + Enjoy!
Top your hot chocolate with mini marshmallows. Enjoy immediately or microwave for 10-15 seconds on high to melt the marshmallows (like in these photos!).
More Boozy Beverages
In the mood for other festive boozie bevvies? Check out some of our favorite cocktails we’ll be whipping up during the winter months:
- Delicious Mulled Wine
- Apple Cider Cocktail
- Blackberry Moscow Mules
- The Best Hot Toddy Recipe
- Rosemary Vodka Collins
Can You Make Spiked Hot Chocolate in the Slow Cooker?
You sure can! This spiked hocho can easily be made in the slow cooker instead of on the stove top. Simply place all ingredients in your slow cooker, and heat on low until the spiked hot chocolate is warm and the chocolate is melted (it will take about an hour), stirring occasionally.
Once the hot chocolate is heated, turn your slow cooker down to warm, and enjoy!
Can You Make a Large Batch of Spiked Hot Chocolate?
Absolutely! Feel free to double or triple this recipe if you have a large enough pot or slow cooker to accommodate.
- 3 cups 2% milk (any kind of milk works)
- 1 oz. dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3-oz. bourbon (or whisky)
- optional: marshmallows for topping
- Place milk and dark chocolate into a medium saucepan and turn heat to medium.
- Whisk continually until the dark chocolate melts into the milk.
- Then, add cocoa powder and maple syrup and continue to whisk until it begins to bubble.
- Add 1.5 oz. of bourbon into each mug and then fill the mug with hot chocolate. Stir with a spoon.
- Top hot chocolate with mini marshmallows. Enjoy immediately or microwave for 10-15 seconds on high to melt the marshmallows.
Serving Size: 1/2 Calories: 466 Sugar: 48 Sodium: 179 Fat: 13 Carbohydrates: 50 Fiber: 1 Protein: 13 Cholesterol: 31
Author: Lee FunkeCategory: DrinkMethod: StovetopCuisine: American
Keywords: spiked hot chocolate
Emily spent the first 10 years of her career in marketing and advertising roles and started side-hustling with Fit Foodie Finds in Fall of 2015. She joined Team Fit Foodie full-time in the Spring of 2018. Em lives in Minneapolis with her husband and dog, and manages FFF business operations as well as all things sponsorships and brand collaborations.