These Buffalo Chicken Wontons come together quickly and easily and are made without deep frying thanks to your air fryer!
Buffalo Chicken Wontons – Easy Party App!
Store-bought wonton wrappers and shredded chicken make this buffalo chicken wontons recipe so easy to make at home and ready in no time!
If you’re planning a holiday get together, game watch party, or any festive celebration, then this finger food needs to be added to the menu. Dip them in homemade blue cheese dressing or ranch and you’re good to go.
What You Need
- Hot sauce: We’re using Frank’s Red Hot in this recipe but you can use your favorite brand of buffalo sauce!
- Honey: adds a bit of sweetness to the buffalo chicken and helps balance out the spice.
- Greek yogurt: adds creaminess and helps tame the spice in the buffalo sauce. I’m using Fage 2% but any unsweetened, unflavored greek yogurt will work.
- Shredded chicken: You can use any kind of shredded chicken in this recipe– boiled, roasted, rotisserie, even canned! Just make sure to shred it into very small pieces so it fits in the wonton and doesn’t rip the wrapper.
- Blue cheese: adds a bit of creaminess and funkiness to the wontons. If you aren’t a fan of blue cheese, shredded mozzarella or pepper jack will also work!
- Green onion: adds a slight onion flavor and is a classic pairing with buffalo dip.
- Wonton wrappers: are typically found near the tofu section in the grocery store. If you don’t see wonton wrappers, you can cut egg roll wrappers into 2” x 2” squares.
Spoiler alert – in the filling of this recipe, we’re using a variation of our buffalo chicken recipe. So easy and yummy.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Wontons in the Air Fryer
Make Buffalo Sauce
First things first, let’s make the buffalo sauce. This is super simple to do, but you do need to do it in a saucepan.
Heat buffalo sauce and honey in a saucepan over medium heat. Once it begins to steam, remove it from the heat and then stir in the Greek yogurt.
In a large bowl, toss the shredded chicken with the buffalo sauce until combined.
Then, add blue cheese crumbles, and green onion and toss to combine.
Fill Wonton Wrappers
Lay the wonton wrappers flat on a cutting board and add 2 teaspoons of the buffalo chicken filling to the center of each. You should be able to make around 24 wontons.
Brush water on the edges of each wonton wrapper and press one corner of the wonton toward the center. Then, press the next corner towards the center of the wonton, sealing the seam between the two points.
Continue until all of the sides of the wonton have been sealed. Repeat with the remaining wontons.
Generously spray your air fryer with cooking spray and preheat it to 400ºF.
Once preheated, place the buffalo chicken wontons into the air fryer, making sure not to overcrowd them.
Spray them with cooking spray and then air fry at 400ºF for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Repeat until all of your wontons have been air-fried.
Sauces to Serve Them With
Looking for something saucy to dip your wontons in? Here are some ideas:
Ranch: Make your own homemade ranch in your own kitchen using a Greek yogurt base and tons of fresh herbs.
Blue cheese sauce: another yummy homemade dressing recipe made with a Greek yogurt base and tons of blue cheese.
Green goddess dressing: You need to make this creamy Green Goddess Dressing recipe made with a Greek yogurt base, tons of fresh herbs, anti-inflammatory spices, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
We don’t recommend making these ahead or storing these for later as these are best eaten straight from the air fryer.
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce (we used Frank’s Red Hot Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 pound shredded chicken (about 3 cups)
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 24 wonton wrappers
- Generously spray your air fryer basket with olive oil spray and set it aside.
- Add the buffalo sauce and honey to a small saucepan set over medium heat.
- Stir until the honey has dissolved and the buffalo sauce begins to steam (but not boiling).
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the greek yogurt.
- Add the shredded chicken to a large bowl and stir in the warm buffalo sauce mixture. Next add the blue cheese and green onion and stir to combine.
- Lay out the wonton wrappers in a single layer and add 2 teaspoons of buffalo chicken filling to the center of each wonton.
- Brush the edges of the wonton very lightly with water. Press one corner of the wonton toward the center. Push the next corner to the center of the wonton, sealing the seam between the two points. Continue until all of the sides of the wonton have been sealed. Repeat with the remaining wontons.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat your air fryer to 400ºF. Then, add as many wontons that will fit to your air fryer– make sure not to overcrowd them!
- Spray the wontons lightly with olive oil spray and air fry at 400F for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve with ranch or blue cheese sauce and a sprinkle of flaky salt or sliced green onion.
- These wontons are best served directly from the air fryer. I do not recommend storing them as the wontons will become soggy.
Serving Size: 1/24 Calories: 60 Sugar: 1 Fat: 2 Carbohydrates: 6 Fiber: 0 Protein: 6
Author: Lee FunkeCategory: AppetizerMethod: Air FryerCuisine: American
Keywords: buffalo chicken wontons
Lee is the founder of Fit Foodie Finds and based in Minneapolis, MN. She started this website in 2010 as a way to share her love for real food and wellness.